darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Treasure by W.A. Hoffman

Treasure - W.A. Hoffman

Rating: 3/5

Summary: Will and Gaston continue face a new complication, Gaston's father arrives in Jamaica. Will he be a friend or foe? What other challenges and fights await our sexy buccaneers?

Review: This is the third of the four volumes following Will and Gaston as they raid, rove, and murder on the high seas while dealing with family issues and drama on land. This continuation of the m/m pirate buccaneer romance mostly takes place on land in Port Royal, Jamaica as Gaston's father makes an appearance and brings with him additional drama into our boys' lives.

The story and themes continue but unfortunately this volume is mostly filled with family drama and contains very little roving and raiding (which I enjoy a lot more). Also, unfortunately, the last few chapters that do include the roving and raiding seem rushed. I wish they'd spend more time at sea and doing violent, pirate-y buccaneer-y things.

The animal metaphors are starting to get to me a bit as well. It started with wolves and sheep and it was great but now we've got every animal on the planet in metaphorical form; however, there is still some philosophy to draw from it and I've always enjoyed that, plus the ridiculously hilarious dialogue and plot. And... the sexiness has definitely gotten more D/s over time, which actually works with the psychologically fucked up Will and Gaston and their psychotically sexy (uh?) relationship.

Although I enjoyed the first two volumes better, I'll still read the last one in the series because I at this point I need, require, demand a conclusion, a proper ending this wonderful, horrible mess because there is still at least one foe pulling strings from far-off England.