darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Matelots by W.A. Hoffman

Matelots - W.A. Hoffman

Rating: 4/5

Summary: This is a second novel in the Raised by Wolves series, following right after Brethren. More pirates buccaneers roving and roaming the high seas, drinking and romping around ports, killing and maiming, and having lots of gay sex.

Review: I have no idea exactly what has me so addicted to this story. There are some grammatical mistakes and even though the writing is good, it isn't brilliant or unique. The same criticisms as with the first part are still relevant. The story seems to be turning more complex as it moves along (although soap opera-ish) and in my estimation this second part doesn't have nearly enough pirating and has too much talking about emotions (eesh, they are pirates, male pirates and this has easily surpassed my too-much-talking, not-enough-fucking rule for an m/m romance).

However, somehow I'm still addicted. Will/Marsdale's view on the world is ridiculously hilarious and so are the scenarios they get into. The philosophy is a bit confusing (and uses to much animal metaphors) but makes me want to ruminate on it long after reading. Will and Gaston's relationship is destructive, violent, co-dependent, and possibly even psychotic (with D/s elements). Their romance is ridiculous, and yet entertaining and endearing to watch. The best way I can explain my attraction to this story is that it is like watching a terrible accident, it is horrible yet so fascinating that you can't take your eyes off it. And yes, I will be reading more.