darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Brethren by W.A. Hoffman

Brethren - W.A. Hoffman

Rating: 4.5/5

Summary:

The place: West Indies

The time: 1660s

The plot: Male pirates buccaneers roving and looting as they travel the seas, fucking their pirate buccaneer life mates during the boring down times on ships. Yup, that's right, life committed, monogamous pirates! And as a cherry on top, we have Marsdale/Will, the outspoken, rude, atheistic libertine and an emotionally wounded English Lord fall in love with Gaston, the insane (literally), straight (although pretty much asexual), damaged by trauma, emotionally volatile, lonely, and exiled French buccaneer. Who also falls in love with Marsdale/Will.

Review: This is probably the best terrible novel I've ever read. Let me explain...

This novel is ridiculous, historically inaccurate (I can't speak for the accuracy of the buccaneer culture but I am assuming it wasn't comprised of hot guys having public gay sex while at sea nor considering matelots-pirate m/m pairings- marriages but it did have science concepts beyond its time period), the characters are insane and emotionally damaged, there are a few minor grammar issues, etc. And yet... and yet... it is hilarious! And exciting! And just completely over the top wonderful. I love that it doesn't seem to take itself seriously and the cheap, cliché romance is just too endearing (and completely fucked up and dark) to ignore. I am ashamed to say that I just couldn't put this book down.

The plot is so ridiculous that I just couldn't not like it. It is a complex and fast-paced romp through Europe and then onto the West Indies (aka Caribbean). Mixed in we have philosophy, murder, religion, duels, absolution, responsibility, love, social commentary, revenge, and general pirating activities such as roving and raiding. Oh, and did I mention gay, bi, and straight pirates buccaneers sexing it up on the high seas?