darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

Empress of the World - Sara Ryan

Rating: 3/5

Summary: Students at an academic summer camp spend the summer figuring out their futures and themselves. This is where Nicola meets Battle and a friendship develops that leads her to question her sexuality and her life.

Review: Nicola is funny and witty as we enter her mind and navigate through finding her academic interests and romantic feelings for Battle. The story is short and easy to read. It is composed of an interesting mix of first person POV and journal entries. It is well written but the ending leaves a lot to be desired, it is abrupt and doesn't seem, uh, realistic.

The relationship with battle develops slowly as Nicola learns who she is. However, the plot is composed of typical teenage girl drama and is very simplistic, even for a YA novel, and so is the character development. I couldn't connect emotionally with the characters.

At the same time, I would recommend this to younger teens looking for a lesbian romance or struggling with their sexual orientation. My review is biased from an adult reader perspective and I'd never know how I would have felt had I read this 15 years ago.