darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Moving In: Tales of an Unlicensed Marriage by Bruce Littlefield

Moving In - Bruce Littlefield

Rating: 3.5/5

Note: I received this book for the purpose of review from the author through a Goodreads.com giveaway. Regardless of how I obtain a book I am committed to providing uncensored thoughts in my reviews (probably because I have no idea how to censor myself).

Summary: This is a memoir of two city boys taking on a house renovation project in the country. Of course it results in entertaining misadventures.

Review: Ordinarily, this is a book that would have been thrown onto my huge to-read pile for it to get lost in the sea of books forever. I’m glad it didn’t because it is hilarious (just don’t read in public if you snort while laughing, unfortunately, taken from a personal experience since I read most of it at the beach).

I can’t come up with a better way to describe it than a modern, gay version of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo (from the 50s show I love Lucy). Bruce is cheeky with a sharp tongue that gets him into trouble and a proclivity for the dramatics. Scott is the level-headed, sensible one, well, unless he’s driving. This memoir grants us access into the first year of this city couple owning a run-down house in the county, including a peak into their neighbors, renovations, and their relationship.

Some chapters achieved genuine emotional depth. “The Gift” made my eyes tear up, the emotion was conveyed impeccably (and I loved the pictures). Some of my other favorites, “Oh, Christmas Tree” and “Coupon Clipper,” also had something profound to say though the humorous circumstances and commentary. However, I wish more chapters pushed for, well, more depth. There were some chapters where I felt the comedy served to keep the reader emotionally detached, not letting us in far enough; lacked the intimacy that would allow the reader to connect more with the personal in a meaningful way.

However, that said, this is the perfect book to spend the afternoon with curled up on the beach. It is an extremely funny, lighthearted read and the breaks between chapters give the perfect excuse to go for a swim or pick up some ice-cream before diving back into the memoir. It is definitely worth picking up.