darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Star Trek: Countdown by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Mike Johnson

Star Trek: Countdown - Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Mike Johnson, Tim Jones, David Messina, Giovanni Niro, J.J. Abrams

Rating: 4/5

Summary: Prequel to the 2009 Star Trek movie. Romulus is threatened by a supernova. Ambassador Spock attempts to save the planet despite various obstacles.

Review: This review assumes that you have seen the 2009 movie; may contain spoilers if you had not.

I re-read this along with watching the first movie (read last time in 2009). The tie in with the movie is amazing; it fills in the story from Spock’s perspective that during the movie receives only a general overview. It adds dimension to the movie and makes it more plotty.

Additionally, it contains a squee-worthy moment and lots of other goodies for Star Trek (original and Next Generation) fans. I grew up on Next Gen and seeing so many of my favorites appear in this prequel was awesome. I loved it in 2009 because it gave me a glimpse into a movie, and I love it even more now knowing what actually happened in the movie.

I do have some plot and science-y concerns (probably done for convenience sake) but they weren’t serious enough to overshadow my enjoyment. For example, Nero’s mining ship taking out warships. It makes sense in the movie because they are back in time and technology can change significantly in 100+ years. But I doubt Romulan technology was so advanced that outfitting a mining ship with it would make it a better warship than warships built for war (plus, knowing Romulans, if they had such a powerful weapon they would have already sent armies into Vulcan and Federation territories). And then Vulcans call Spock a traitor for being an ambassador to Romulus and living there… but isn’t that an ambassador’s job? And if you’d like to retain the illusion of the story and the movie, do not look up any scientific information regarding supernovas or black holes. If you can manage to suspend your disbelief (I did) then it is an absolutely brilliant comic.