darkwingduckie

Towers of Books Come Tumbling Down!

I love all kinds of books! For all my friends, I am known on GR as Alicja. I don't stick with a genre, that's boring. Instead you'll get reviews from the most random assortment of fiction and non-fiction works. It's probably due to my interests being as eclectic as my book tastes.

I'm a girlfriend-loving bisexual, science fiction geek, PC gamer, historical fiction devourer, hiker, atheist, history buff, opera lover, vegetarian, kayaker, metal and hard rock concert goer, science nerd, politics debater, world traveler, M/M romance fan, and I have the ability to transform from an adult-like hard-working professional into a screaming fangirl in five seconds flat.

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

Rating: 4/5

Summary:
Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

Review: My copy of Romeo & Juliet is the same copy I read in 7th grade for class. That was also the year that the Baz Luhrmann movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes came out. Ah, middle school memories…

I’m sure that too many people have written in depth thesis about the beautiful and inventive language, the poetry, the amazing descriptions, etc. The plot is wrapped in a superb language package that can be immensely enjoyed even centuries after it had been written.

But what I’d like to address is the misconception that this is a love story (or as some reviews who can’t believe they fell in ‘true love’ over such a short period of time put it). It’s not ‘true love’ (and even though it may be debatable, I am fairly sure that ‘true love’ doesn’t exist, at all). It is a story about two young people who mistook lust for love but, even so, they were willing to sacrifice their lives for the belief in love over hate. It was carried out very misguidedly and foolishly, but at the same time brave of them to look deeper through an indoctrinated hatred of the “other” to find love and understanding. We all could learn something about that from Romeo & Juliet.

Lastly, I just adore Mercutio. He has some of the best lines in the play and is always a joy to read/watch.